The proposed system references the pressure distribution resulting from a human back when leaning against a soft backrest, on which a network of pressure sensors and accelerometers are placed.
Therefore, the sensor system can evaluate the local curvature of the lumbar spine arch, allowing a clinician to advice on the posture.
Posture feedback data from this system can benefit people who are suffering progressive degeneration of the spine disc.
The sensor matrix is composed of five layers (from top to bottom)：
1. one cover layer
2. sandwich-like pressure sensors: silver knitted fabric (grey strips) acting as electrodes and one piece of non woven piezoresistive fabric in the middle. And there are totally 35 sensors (yellow squares).
3. another cover layer attached with accelerometers (embroideried)
Pressure distribution in different seated posture types:
1. bending forward; 2. leaning left; 3. upright; 4. leaning right; 5. leaning backward
While a yellow sensor means that it is not pressed or its resistance is higher than the thresholdandaredonemeansitispressed.
Curve shape when seated upright:
Curve shape when bending forward:
Curve shape when leaning backward:
1. Focuson the construction of a real-time system, by creating a data acquisition platform such as a mobile phone app.
2. The number of accelerometer should be increased, which will provide a more precise profile about the human back.
3. The data from sensor matrix and three accelerometers was collected separately, future research is necessary in order to provide a fully functional posture monitoring system.